Monday, August 3, 2015

Boobies

My sweet boy and I were having a “moment”. We lay snuggled together on the couch; his head nestled against my chest and my chin resting atop his head.
"Mommy," he said, "your boobies are like jubies."
I knew that he was referencing my favorite candies – Jujubes – but what could he possibly think my breasts had in common with them?
"Oh? Why is that?"
"Because,” he said, “they're soft and squishy."
Soft and squishy?! I’ll have you know, kid, that I used to have a set! They were big and round and solid. Okay, okay – maybe that was just when they were full of milk, which of course was for your benefit. But they were firm! And little do you know, but the thanks I got for birthing and nursing you was that my “boobies” would now take first prize in categories designated Looks Most Like Grapes With the Centers Sucked Out and Looks Most Like Plastic Baggies Full of Pudding!
But of course that entire diatribe took place inside of this mommy’s head and my son never heard a word of it. I just chuckled softly to myself and took a minute to think about what it was I did want my son to hear.
"Well," I replied, ""soft and squishy" was a small price to pay for the gift of you.”  
Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I often think of mine as tube socks with tennis balls in the bottom...

    ReplyDelete