Monday, August 10, 2015

Why You Should Keep Things to Yourself

My son's little school friend was over having a play date.  In true boy-fashion they had torn the house apart.  They had run up the stairs, and down the stairs; under the stairs and around the stairs.  At some point one of them had taken a break to use the washroom.  I hadn't thought anything of it until the next day when my son mentioned it.  It was then that I remembered having seen both boys head in the general direction of the washroom at the same time.
"Mom?"
"Yes Brennen?"
"When Mattie was here for our play date we went pee together."
I wasn't surprised; I had figured as much.  I didn't see any reason to make a big fuss over it so I said, "That's fine Brennen, but next time take turns using the washroom."
A few more seconds passed and again I heard, "Mom?"
"Yes Brennen?"
"My penis is bigger than Mattie's."
What can this mommy say but that her son has confidence!  But seriously, how was I supposed to keep a straight face and respond to that?
"You shouldn't look at other people's penises," was all I could manage.  "And I hope you didn't tell Mattie that yours was bigger."  

Better to let my son believe that size didn't matter!  That sort of 'truth' could wreck havoc on a boy's self-esteem for years to come.
"Now,” I chuckled softly, “go tell your father."

No comments:

Post a Comment