Monday, June 1, 2015

Confusion at McDonald's


It was Friday and my husband was working the night-shift.  Those two facts combined were all the justification I needed for a ‘treat’.  I packed the kids and myself into the truck and headed for the nearest McDonald's with a PlayPlace.  As one might expect, I was not the only mother with this brilliant idea!  Everywhere you turned there were children underfoot, and when I finally snagged seating-for-three I was giddy with delight.

The kids and I squeezed onto the bench-seating and found ourselves directly opposite an elderly woman; she had a scarlet bindi and wore a traditional sari.  She regarded my blonde-haired, green-eyed daughter thoughtfully, and my daughter returned the gesture in-kind.


Image result for drawing of elderly woman and bindiIt was inevitable - even before the caramel on Bronwyn’s sundae had hardened, she was asking this woman what that 'thing' was on her forehead.  Surprisingly enough this woman gave way to a hearty chuckle and told Bronwyn that it was part of her religion.  "You have customs and this," she said, pointing to her forehead, "is a part of my custom.  Do you understand?"

No, my five-year-old did not understand 'custom'. 

As I watched Bronwyn stick her thumb in her sweet-and-sour sauce, I marveled at a child’s innocence.  I smiled at the woman, thankful that she had not misread my daughter's curiosity for malice.  Suddenly a girl, no older than Bronwyn, appeared beside the elderly woman.  Her granddaughter, I assumed.  Bronwyn eyed the denim-clad little girl over her chicken nugget.  After a short time she turned to the elderly woman and pointing at the little girl asked, "Where's her costume?"

I cannot tell a lie - I stuck a french fry in my mouth and stared straight ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment