Monday, June 8, 2015

She Calls Me Cinderella


The house needed to be cleaned and this fact had my children confused as we were not having company over.  This was yet another lesson that I, as their mother, had clearly failed to teach them – we clean the house on a regular basis whether or not anyone is coming to visit!

I rummaged through the cupboards, found some cleaning supplies, and started to assign everyone their job duties.  I handed my two children their Lysol wipes and asked them nicely to clean the upstairs bathroom that they shared.

I, myself, had so many things to clean that I hardly knew where to start.  After about twenty minutes of successfully avoiding cleaning my own bathroom, I went to check on the kids' progress.  My son - who is an excellent little cleaner - was enthusiastically wiping down his sink and counter-top. My daughter, however, was nowhere in sight.  Where she should have stood was my husband, instead.

"Where's Bronwyn?"

"She's in her bedroom," was my husband's response.

I poked my head around Bronwyn's door and was not the least bit surprised to find her lounging on her bed, ipad in hand.

I returned to the washroom and asked my husband curiously, "Why isn't she helping you?"

He shrugged his shoulders and through a sly grin replied, "She says your Cinderella; you do all of the work."

Unbelievable!

In that moment, the ‘truth’ is that Bronwyn almost came face-to-face with Cinderella’s Wicked Stepmother – but she didn’t!  I proudly put many years of therapy into practice, took a deep calming breath, counted to ten, and returned to my chores!

Later when I recounted the incident, a wise friend pointed out that in the end, it was Cinderella who realized all of her dreams.  While I was certain that this was not what Bronwyn had in mind when she had drawn her comparison, I decided to revise my thinking on the matter.  I decided that If in the end 
this mommy and her family got to realize the fairy-tale-ending, then Bronwyn
could call me Cinderella any time!

Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo!

No comments:

Post a Comment