Sunday, July 19, 2015

Those Things That Stick Up

My daughter's hockey team was set to compete in an 'away' tournament, which meant that my family would be spending the weekend in a hotel. The kids were jacked!
It was the night before the tournament and I had started packing everyone's things. I was working on the toiletries when my young son wondered into my bathroom. Of course he wanted to help. I watched as he grabbed a handful of Always pads from beneath my sink and threw them into the bag that I was assembling.
"Here mom," Brennen said cheerfully, "you'll need these."
"Thanks bud,” I grimaced, “but I don't need those."
The next thing I heard was, "Here mom, you'll need these too."
I turned cautiously towards my son and found him holding my razor, shaving cream, and waxing products. I was beginning to think that my son had spent too much time with me in the washroom.
"Thanks bud," I muttered again, "but I don't need those."
Apparently my not needing those things did not matter, as Brennen stuffed his treasures into the now bulging toiletry bag. He was so happy to help that I couldn't bear the thought of his thinking that I didn't want him too. So I stomped down my objections and decided that he could pack whatever he liked. I would simply unpack and repack later when he was asleep.
"Where are the things that stick up?" Brennen asked suddenly.
Stick up? I had no idea what he was talking about. “I don't know what that is, Brennen."
"Yes you dooooo know. The things that stick up!"
My son's frustration was evident, and my patience was wearing thin. Clearly I needed to come at this from a different angle.
"What does it look like, Brennen? What do you use it for?"
"You know mommy - the things that stick up your ba-jyna!"
Lord, what is a mommy to do?
Let this mommy answer her own question. She needs to start locking the bathroom door behind her – that’s what!
Truth is funnier than fiction I tell you. Truth is funnier than fiction!

No comments:

Post a Comment